Thursday, April 22, 2010

Tightwad Mom's Frugal Book Pick Of The Month



Happy Earth Day! Baking soda is one of my most favorite things (strange I know). I consider it one of nature's wonder products! It is cheap, earth friendly, non toxic, and versatile! So,in keeping with my week of green tips, I thought I would review "Baking Soda" by Vicki Lansky (who is a contributing editor for Family Circle magazine). I checked this book out of our local library (in fact, I have checked it out so many times, the library should probably start charging me rent!). In the book is gives over 500 uses for baking soda. Everything from a kitchen deodorizer to a first aid staple! Did you know:

1. To ease sore throat pain dissolve a regular aspirin (crush it up)and 1 level teaspoon of baking soda to 1/2 cup very warm water, and gargle with it.
2. Pour 1/2 cup of baking soda into a new vacuum cleaner bag to help eliminate stale odors.
3. Make a paste of baking soda and water, and apply it to mosquito bites to relieve itching.
4. Sprinkle it on vomit on carpets. It will absorb the moisture and clump making it easier to clean up.
5. Add it to litter boxes to absorb odors.
6. Sprinkle it in stinky shoes. Shove the shoe full of wadded up newspaper and let sit for several days. It will absorb the smell (I swear by this one!).
7. Mix a teaspoon in cold cream to make a facial exfoliater.

Each chapter is categorized, for example, home maintenance, cooking tips, kitchen care, etc.; making it easy to find solutions for a particular problem. It's a fun and informative read. In fact, it would make a wonderful Mother's Day gift this year (Hint! Hint). Go grab a box of Arm and Hammer, and check out your local library A.S.A.P!

1 comment:

  1. I think I will be looking for this book on my next visit to the library. Have a great weekend! I hope you get to relax a bit!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails