Friday, May 13, 2011

Craperole.... Oh, I Mean Casserole!

 ( I didn't take a picture of this week's casserole, and besides it never looks the same twice. So here's a picture of my pretty blue dutch oven. After all, leftovers always look more appetizing in a pretty pot. It's all about presentation, baby!)

Dear Readers, I must apologize! Wednesday, while I was preparing my menu post, I tried to link Craperole to a previous post in the blog. No such post exists! In the seventeen months that this blog has been up and running, I have never posted the recipe for one of my most used resources.  First of all, casserole was lovingly named craperole at our house a long time ago. I don't know who actually named it, but the sentiment was very clear.....and the name has stuck! Secondly, Casserole is my preferred method for using up odds and ends out of the refrigerator, and it is always a great way to stretch more expensive food items with cheaper filler foods.  This recipe calls for cheese. This is, of course, optional; because it does add cost and calories to the finished project. However, I live in a household of cheese lovers. Odds are if there is cheese on top, it will be consumed with much less moaning and groaning! So, without further ado, the much "coveted" recipe for Craperole!

Catch All Casserole (a.k.a. Craperole) 

2 - 3 cups  starchy food; such as sliced or shredded cooked potatoes. cooked rice, or cooked pasta
1 - 2 cups leftover cooked meat; I use chicken and pork roast most often or 1 pound browned hamburger
1 - 2 cups  cooked leftover vegetables (or frozen vegetables)
1/2 cup each minced onion and celery (if you have some to use up)
2 cans Cream of  Something soup ( usually chicken, mushroom, or celery) or a combination of 1 can Cream f Something soup and 1 cup sour cream, cottage cheese, mayonnaise, or 1 ( 8oz) brick of cream cheese (softened) or 2 cups white sauce 
1 cup shredded cheese (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Saute chopped onion and celery (if using) in 1 tablespoon of oil or butter until soft. In a large bowl place the  starchy food, cooked meat,  vegetables, and sauteed onion and celery (if using). Add in soups (or combinations), salt and pepper. Stir together and pour into a greased casserole dish. Bake covered at 375 for 40 - 45 minutes. Optional: uncover the casserole, sprinkle cheese on top and bake uncovered for another 5 minutes until the cheese melts.

Bon Appetite!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Your craperole sounds pretty tasty to me! I love the name...too funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have the ingredients to the white sauce? Or is it at the grocery store? I have heard of it, but never made it! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails