Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Repurposed "Spice" Jars

A very good friend received a Dean and Deluca sampler gift box from a relative for Christmas this year (lucky Girl!). She didn't want to throw these fabulous metal tins away, and knowing I adore recycling containers of all varieties, she sent them my direction. There were fifteen metal tins inside a heavy duty white gift box (the box  is down stairs in the gift wrap tote waiting to be reused). At first glance, these little tins screamed spice jars!!! I saw some similar to these at Fred Meyers but they were around $3.00 a piece. Of course, the jars were originally covered with colorful labels. I soaked the labels off, but a very sticky residue remained.


Enter some of my favorite cleaning supplies. A spray bottle of Goof Off 2 (it's a water based cleaner), baking soda, and rubbing alcohol. Goof Off is famous for removing sticky residue. Baking soda is a mild abrasive that helped scrub the sticky mess, and rubbing alcohol to remove the last little bit of residue. Never fear, they received a good scrubbing in hot soapy water, too!


It took a little bit of elbow grease (and some wrinkly fingers ), but the tins were soon sticky free.


I made sure that the jars were completely dry before I proceeded to the second part of my project. Baking racks were the perfect substitute for a dish rack.


While the jars were drying I took inventory of my spice drawer. I tossed the spices that I had not used in a very long time (I am ashamed to admit this), made a list of spices I was almost out of (to add to the grocery list), and printed labels for the blank jars.


I am trying to eliminate plastic containers in my pantry; especially for items that will be stored to a long period of time. After each jar was labeled, it was filled with the corresponding spice. I also emptied the glass spice jars (that contained spices I rarely or never use) washed them out and refilled them with spices that I use often. Now my spice drawer is organized and easy to access. Tomorrow I will be picking up a roll of clear contact paper to cover the labels (so that they will be "water proof and wipe able).

4 comments:

  1. That's a great idea about eliminating the plastic spice jars. I hadn't given it much thought but spices are something that stay in the cupboard a long time. I found a bunch of glass spice jars in the free box at a yard sale last year. I buy some spices in bulk and used those jars for stoing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this.

    LOVE it. Did I say LOVE?

    Repurposed anything is fabulous, but repurposed - and pretty - and organized...?

    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your tins...they look awesome! I really need to buy some of that goof off stuff to keep on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great post! I will have to add Goof off to my parents shopping list (which they work through when they visit the U.S.
    Thanks for the tip!
    Katja

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails